Thursday, June 27, 2013

Half-Marathon Training Plan

Half-marathon training (begins and) continues!

Today is the fourth day of my half-marathon training plan, which I adapted from a similar plan for novice runners by Hal Higdon.  (Of course, I found this original plan on Pinterest, then modified it to fit my schedule a little better.)  So here's the revised training plan for my half marathon:


I started running after work on Tuesday (Week 1, Day 2).  It's getting pretty hot here - it was 90 degrees on Tuesday afternoon and is supposed to get into the 100s today - but the thought of running on a treadmill just seemed boring to me.  Plus, I ran outside in 93 degree heat about two weeks ago and it wasn't too bad.  So off I went on my three mile run.

Well, I didn't really consider the difference between 90 degrees at 5 p.m. and 93 degrees at 9 p.m. (which is the time that I ran a few weeks ago).  And there is a big difference.  For one, I was running against the wind on most of the trail.  While the breeze cooled me down a little bit, it also meant I had to work harder to keep moving.  There was also very little shade on the trail, so the hot sun beating directly down on me really zapped my energy.  (After all, 5 p.m. is pretty much the "heat of the day" here in the summertime.)  So I ended up running about two miles, then alternating between walking and running for the last mile.  I even got light-headed at one point, which is the first time that has ever happened to me while running.

Anyway, I learned my lesson and instead ran on the treadmill yesterday after work.  It was a much more pleasant experience since all of the lights were off in the gym and I was able to get a treadmill right in front of one of the fans.  And, to make up for my somewhat disappointing run on Tuesday, I actually ran three miles instead of just two.  Which made me think of this:

 
So I'll probably go to the gym again today and save my outdoor runs for either 5:30 a.m. or 8:30 p.m.

In other news, my Bible reading plan is going really well!  I'm still using the YouVersion app and the "Blended" reading plan, but I've started listening to the verses while I read along with them.  This is similar to an audio-book option and I really like it.  The reader's voice kind of sounds like a knock-off of Morgan Freeman's, so I can't complain about that!  The recording also has soft music playing in the background, which is just enough of a distraction to take me out of whatever else I am doing and really focus on what I am reading.  I believe that this is better for my reading comprehension as well!

I hope to tackle a few other projects on my list this weekend, so I'll be sure to post about it if I do!

1 comment: